It’s no secret that I LOVE animals… you all have seen the endless pictures of my pets on my IG feed 😉 Through my love of animals, my health and fitness journey lead me to no longer eating meat. I have a ton of clients who are also trying to limit their consumption of meat products, so I wanted to share a few of my favorite meat alternatives!
- Tofu: Probably the most well known meat alternative, tofu is made from soybeans and is full of protein and calcium. The great thing about tofu is that it takes on the flavor of whatever spices and marinades you use in your cooking, so it is extremely versatile.
- Tempeh: This is one of my favorites because it is super easy and quick to make! Tempeh is made from fermented soybeans so it is packed with protein and calcium, as well as fiber and tons of vitamins! My favorite way to prepare is to slice it and throw it in my air fryer!
- Seitan: A lot of people like Seitan because the texture is very similar to meat. Seitan is made from wheat gluten and is a great source of protein! It is very dense so can prepared in many different ways including grilling and frying!
- Jackfruit: The texture and mild taste of jackfruit, along with the fact that it takes on many flavors from the other foods your cook it with, make it a great substitute for meat. Jackfruit is very versatile and can be used in many different styles of cooking; however being fruit is not very high in protein.
- Lentils and beans: Since the very beginning, lentils and beans have been a staple in the vegetarian and vegan diet. They are inexpensive, quick to prepare, healthy and filling.
Even if you aren’t ready to completely stop eating meat, try incorporating some of these alternatives into your diet to give them a try! Tell me your favorite meatless meal below!
Leave a comment