With all the benefits of going dairy free, it’s no surprise that more and more people are choosing to take the leap. Since 2005, dairy consumption has steadily declined with 22% of people reporting that they have decreased their intake of dairy, but choosing to make this lifestyle change can still be intimidating. I get asked a lot by clients about dairy free alternatives to their favorite foods, so I thought it would be a good idea to put them all in one place! Below are some of my favorite staples that I eat daily and also a few special treats I love to have on occasion. I tried to list the stores I find these at as well, but obviously this will vary based on where you live and what stores are available to you.
- NadaMoo Ice Cream: OF COURSE this is my absolute favorite dairy free treat, but I also eat it almost daily! Made from organic coconut milk as the base, they use all non-GMO and organic ingredients to make the creamiest non-dairy ice cream I have ever had. They have a TON of flavors and all are very macro friendly. Where you can buy it: Whole Foods, Sprouts, Nutri Foods, Fresh Thyme, and many other natural foods stores throughout the country.
- Silk Almond Milk: Obviously if you’re going dairy free you need a milk alternative. I use Silk Almond Milk daily from simply adding it to my cereal to using it in baking and cooking recipes. Macros vary based on the type of almond milk you buy, but my favorite is unsweetened vanilla. Where you can buy it: Almost any local grocery store near you should have some kind of almond milk available.
- Kite Hill Yogurt: I actually don’t eat a lot of yogurt, but every now and then I get a craving for it. Many people eat yogurt with breakfast or as a snack and it is easy to add different toppings daily to mix things up. Kite Hill is made with almond milk and comes in both European and Greek style. Where to buy it: Whole Foods, Sprouts, Publix, Target, and many more.
- Kite Hill Cream Cheese: Want to cut dairy but can’t bear to part with your bagel and cream cheese? You don’t have to! Kite Hill also makes BOMB cream cheese spreads that come in original, chive, and jalapeño flavors. You definitely can’t go wrong with any of them. Where to buy it: Whole Foods, Sprouts, Publix, Target, and many more.
- Follow Your Heart cheese: I absolutely love this brand of cheese and they have a ton of varieties! Whether you are putting cheese on a sandwich, adding it to a salad, or just eating it plain they have you covered. Their cheese comes in blocks, slices, shreds, and even grated Parmesan. It melts great as well, so you don’t have to give up your nachos or grilled cheese 😉 Where you can buy it: Whole Foods, Meijer, Better Health Market, Westborn Market, Holiday Market, Vons, Sprouts, and many more.
- Earth Balance butter: Don’t worry, you don’t have to miss our on butter when you go dairy free. This brand honestly tastes just like real butter! They also makes macaroni and cheese, dressings, nut butter, and crackers. Where you can buy it: Whole Foods, Target, Kroger, Plum Market, Fresh Thyme, Holiday Market, Wal-Mart, Vons, and many other local grocery stores.
- Enjoy Life cookies and chocolate chips: Whether you want to grab a quick treat on your way out the door or you are making your own cookies from scratch, Enjoy Life has your back. They also have new protein bites and granola bars that I haven’t tried but would be great to throw in school lunches for your kids or to keep in your bag in case of emergency. Where you can buy it: Almost every local grocery store or drugstore chain.
- So Delicious CoCoWhip: This is the perfect whipped topping for basically anything you are eating! Add it to ice cream, cookies, drinks, fruit, or to your favorite recipes. So Delicious is a great dairy free brand in general and they make tons of other products I would encourage you to try including ice cream, cheese shreds, creamers, and milk. They make products with a variety of non-dairy alternatives like coconut, soy, almond, and cashew so the variety is honestly endless with them. Where you can buy it: Whole Foods, Sprouts, Meijer, Wal-Mart, Target, Vons, and many more.
- Simple Mills frosting and cake mix: Your desserts don’t have to go away just because dairy does! Simple Mills cake mix is made with coconut flour, almond flour, and coconut sugar and their frosting is made with coconut oil. They have similar taste and macros to regular cake mix and frosting, so they are great for any special occasion. Talk about having your cake and eating it too! Where you can buy it: Whole Foods, Plum Market, Fresh Thyme, Target, Better Health, and many more.
Luckily, since going dairy free is becoming more popular there are a lot more options now then there used to be. Did I miss something you can’t live without? Leave me a comment below!
Image by: Don Bersano. 2017. Bersano Photography.