New Year, new you… right? That’s what it seems like everyone is saying around this time of year, but how can you REALLY put this resolution into action? The first thing you need to take care of is to start taking care of YOURSELF! You are eating right and killing it in the gym, but if you don’t practice a little self-care afterwards, you may not be getting the full benefits of all your hard work. Below are the top 5 tips I have for maximizing your New Year’s resolution results!
- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER! Duh, right? I know, I know… This is the first thing on everyone’s tip list, but that’s because it truly is one of the best ways to make sure your muscles are recovering in the best way and that your body is functioning the best that it can. The truth is, your body could not function without water. Water plays in important role in your body’s temperature regulation, metabolism, pH balance, and flushing wastes and toxins out of your body. A good rule of thumb is to try to drink a gallon of water per day… I know this sounds like a lot, but by slowly increasing your water intake daily, you will get there in no time!
- STRETCH! This is one of the most important aspects of working out, which a lot of people skip over to save on time. You should always do some light stretching before working out to get your muscles warmed up, and you should always stretch afterwards as a cool down. According to The Mayo Clinic, implementing a stretching routine can decrease your risk of getting an injury from your workouts and also will improve your athletic performance over all.
- GET A MASSAGE! This is a great way to help your muscles heal and also to create some down time and relaxation that is just for you! Massage has both physical and mental benefits. Not only does it help relax your muscles and work out those tight spots, it also helps decrease anxiety and depression. Reader’s Digest Best Health points out that human touch, in a safe and professional environment, can be both relaxing and therapeutic.
- EAT RIGHT! I am sure this is already on your New Year’s resolution list… but choosing to fuel your body in a healthy and efficient way will make all the difference in how you look and how you feel. See one of my posts from a while back where I talk about nutrient timing. Bodybuilding.com agrees that before and after working out you should eat a good portion of carbs and proteins in order to fuel your workout and then nourish your muscles afterward.
- ENJOY LIFE! While it is a great New Year’s resolution to start eating better and working out, remember to keep in mind your overall balance and well being. If you stress too much over your food and exercise, you won’t be able to enjoy the special moments in life that happen… Remember, it is possible to live a balanced lifestyle as long as you practice moderation. This year, work on finding your balance between living a healthy lifestyle and living your life 🙂
The Mayo Clinic. (2016). Retrieved from www.mayoclinic.org
Reader’s Digest Best Health. (2016). www.besthealthmag.ca
Bodybuilding.com. (2016). www.bodybuilding.com
Eric Wainwright. Wainwright Images. 2016.